Books I ❤️ That I Don't Talk About Enough


I have a lot of favourite books. I've been reading since I was around five, so over sixteen years I've discovered a lot of books that have found a place in my heart. HOWEVER, each year I find new books and talk about those instead, and the older favourites get neglected. I love today's prompt - I get to talk about all (well, a few of, otherwise this would be a loooong post) the books I love that don't get enough page-time on here!

As I've been blogging for eight years this year (ASDFGHJ WHAT?!) I thought I'd do my favourite book from each year I've been blogging (plus a few extras!). I'm looking forward to taking a trip down memory lane and, for a little while, revisiting some of the books that stole my heart.

2012 
(otherwise known as the fetus year) 
(also the year I peaked...121 books? Who even was I)
Well, I'm relieved to announce that my reading taste has changed since I was thirteen (not by much though lol). It's interesting looking at the progression of my reading taste from before I started blogging to after. Beforehand, I didn't really know what I was looking for; I would just read whatever the library had. Blogging helped me find so many good books. Thank you, blogging community.❤️

There are three books in particular that stand out from 2012. To this day they remain a couple of my favourite books, but I rarely speak about them anymore. Those three books are Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare, Divergent by Veronica Roth, and The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson. I used to speak about the Infernal Devices ALL THE TIME on my blog, but now I rarely do.

The Infernal Devices remains one of my favourite trilogies to this day, and Will Herondale will ALWAYS be my ultimate book boyfriend. I loved everything about Clockwork Angel - the jaw-dropping story line, the complex characters, the beautiful writing, and the romance! Le sigh. As thirteen-year-old me put it..."a completely faultless read". Aw.

The Sky is Everywhere is the first book I recall reading that made my read some of it immediately after finishing it. I remember falling completely in love with the writing, the characters, and the romance. Jandy Nelson was my number one writing inspiration then, and to this day she remains my number one writing inspiration. Her writing is just utterly incredible and this book made me feel ALL THE FEELS.



I also read Divergent and to this day it remains one of my favourite books. I know a lot of people hated Allegiant, but I didn't (despite the ending!). I have such a soft spot for this trilogy and I love it muchly. As 13-year-old me said..."it's one of the most AWESOME books EVER." Wow, what literary talent I possessed.

2013
I didn't actually read that much in 2013 which I'm guessing was due to school cramping my reading style. I read so many good books in 2013 that I don't even know where to start! UGH. I'm going to go over my two book quota here - there's just too many. But hey, at least you'll get some old-school book recs.

I loved YA contemporaries then, and I love YA contemporaries now. 2013 was a good year for YA contemporaries. I read Anna and the French Kiss which blew me away. I adored the Parisian setting, the plot, and I remember LOVING the romance. The Summer I Turned Pretty series also remains one of my favourites to this day. I have such a vivid recall of my reading experience. I had loaned the first two from the library and I literally sat inside for two days and read them. I couldn't even wait for my library to get the third book, so I immediately bought it on my Kindle. I was so completely immersed in the story and I loved it SO MUCH.

I also read The Knife of Never Letting Go which I almost DNFed initially but then had me declaring it one of my favourite books by the time I finished it. It was unlike anything I'd read before. And it broke my heart, so that was fun.

I begun the Mortal Instruments which I absolutely love. I won't say much about them as most people have probably read them but...<3 

Wonder by R.J. Palacio also completely blew me away. Heart-warming, heart-breaking, inspirational, and filled with so much love and courage...it's an utter treasure.

ALSO, one last honourable mention and then I'm done, the Lockwood & Co series! I received an unsolicited copy for review and was quite hesitant to read it because GHOSTS...but boy, it was AMAZING. Think YA Ghostbusters - it's so twisty, so atmospheric, yet also so character-driven. READ IT.

Man, 2013. You were a good year.

2014 
(The year I read ALL THE BOOKS)
Ugh, guys. 2014 was the YEAR for books for me. I read 108 that year, and I discovered so many favourites.

I started reading the Skulduggery Pleasant series which is INCREDIBLE. The first three are quite middle-grade but get steadily darker with the continuation of the series. They are FILLED with shocking plot twists, brilliant banter, flawed characters...they're perfect. READ THEM!!

I also read The One and Only Ivan which I remember expertly tugging at my heartstrings and making me feel ALL THE FEELS. It's an animal book, guys, of course you're going to cry. It's about captivity and love and sacrifice. It was so beautiful and I highly recommend it.

The last one I'll mention for this year is If I Stay by Gayle Forman. I remember reading this book in one sitting and bawling my eyes out at the end. If you haven't read this yet, READ IT. The movie doesn't do it justice - this book was incredibly poignant and moving.❤️

2015
Three books for this year too, guys. I'm really not sticking to my quota, am I?

I read These Shallow Graves this year which I wasn't expecting to love as much as I did. It was completely out of my comfort zone (being a murder mystery) but it was SO GOOD. It's historical fiction featuring a headstrong female protagonist and a swoonworthy romance. THE ROMANCE, GUYS, THE ROMANCE. Squeee!! You can read my review here - I'm more eloquent over there.

I also read Underwater which is AMAZING! There definitely hasn't been enough hype about it in the book community. It features panic disorder SO WELL. As someone who used to suffer with severe panic attacks, I felt so seen. I think I read it in one sitting too - it was so, so good.

I also read the Alex Rider series and Katie McGarry's books that year. Alex Rider is still one of my favourite series (in fact, the new book came out last week!). Alex grows so much throughout the series and the plots are so brilliant! Katie McGarry's books are SO DARN GOOD too!! She's definitely one of my favourite contemporary authors. Her characters feel so real and the romances are sweet, yet sizzling. LOVE LOVE LOVEEE!!!

2016
I didn't read that many good books in 2016. I don't know if my selections were just off or if my seventeen-year-old self was jaded. Either way, I read quite a lot, but not that many books blew me away. THAT BEING SAID, I still have quite a few I want to squeal about!

I read the Curseworkers trilogy by Holly Black which is SO GOOD. I absolutely adore the characters and the plot. I never reviewed these and now I'm kicking myself, as I can't remember why I loved it only that I did. LE SIGH. I have the first book on my shelf so maybe I'll give it a cheeky reread...

I also read Illuminae and Gemina which were SO FREAKING AMAZING. I fell completely in love with the characters and the romance and the mixed media and THE PLOT!!! ASDFGHJKL.


More of Me by Kathryn Evans was incredible too. It has one of the most unique premises I have ever come across in YA. The writing was excellent and so compelling. I adored the characters, the plot, and the underlying metaphors. YOU NEED TO READ IT. SERIOUSLY. SO GOOD.

2017
I didn't read that many great books in 2017 either BUT I did discover a few favourites! I read Bone Gap which is one of my all-time favourite books EVER. It's a breathtaking magical realism book with incredible characterisation and gorgeous writing. Pleeaaase read it - it's stunning!


I also read The Serpent King by Jeff Zentner which frikkin' BROKE MY HEART. This is a stellar contemporary novel with incredible characterisation. It's raw and real and a perfect embodiment of the curve balls life throws at us.

2018 
(the year I discovered Nicholas Sparks!)
I LOVE NICHOLAS SPARKS!!! I finally started reading his books in 2018, and I absolutely adored them. I read See Me, Two by Two, and The Last Song. They were compelling, heartbreaking, and with amazing story lines. READ THEM!


I also read All the Crooked Saints which is one of my favourites too!! I read it twice in 2018 because it was just that good. The characters are incredibly real and I adored the magical realism aspect of the novel. The writing was utterly stunning too.


I also read The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson which I LOVED!!! It's definitely one of my favourite contemporary novels - and not only because it's got a good dose of dogs. I loved the characters, the friendships, the writing, the love interest...this book is perfect in every way. READ IT!

2019
2019 was a pretty good reading year! I discovered A Curse So Dark and Lonely which was AMAZING. I adored the characters, the fairy tale aspect, the romance, the writing...this book was definitely one of my favourites of last year. I read the sequel this year and I fell even more in love with the story. SO GOOD.


I also read When Dimple Met Rishi which was the cutest thing EVER. You know those contemporaries that put a huge smile on your face and make your heart happy?! That's When Dimple Met Rishi was for me. I flew through it and fell sooo in love with it - such a great read!

I also loved loved loveddd Warcross, Light Years, The Beast Player, and Pacifica. Warcross completely gripped me - I loved the characters, the romance, and the world-building. I was so invested in that book. 

Light Years was an amazing sci-fi books. The characters all found a place in my heart and the plot was SO GOOD. 

The Beast Player is a novel translated from Japanese and I loved it. I was so immersed in the book and I LOVED the story line. We also grow up with the character as we read, which is one of my favourite things ever. You can read my review here!!


Paifica was SO GOOD!! I didn't LOVE it at first but by the end of the book I was squealing "I LOVE THIS BOOK"! The romance is SO GOOD as are the friendships. Love love loveee!!!


SO, there we have it. Some of the books I've read throughout my blogging career that deserved some more love from me. I feel all gooey inside now after writing this post. I LOVE BOOKS. 

Name one book that you LOVE that don't speak about enough!