2014 End of Year Book Survey

2014 End Of Year Book Survey
Created by Jamie @ The Perpetual Page-Turner


Number Of Books You Read: 97
Number of Re-Reads: 6
Genre You Read The Most From: Contemporary 

1. Best Book You Read In 2014?

Fantasy: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
Contemporary: Geek Girl by Holly Smale
Middle-Grade: The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate or Dandelion Clocks by Rebecca Westcott
Sci-Fi: The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
Paranormal: City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare
Mystery: A Murder Most Unladylike by Robin Stevens
Thriller: Boy Nobody by Allen Zadoff
Dystopia: The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. Everyone raved about this book, but I just couldn't connect to Cath and I didn't really like the love interest that much. It wasn't as good as I expected it to be.

 3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014? 

This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen, I strongly disliked the previous two books I read by her but I LOVED This Lullaby and the other two book I've read by her this year, which came as a surprise as I really didn't like the others I had read. Also, Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy! I've always seen the series around but it was never something that really appealed to me. However, I got the last book to review and I decided to start reading the series and I LOVE it. Way more than I thought I would!

 4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?

Probably The 5th Wave or Geek Girl! This was mainly to my book blogging friends as none of my friends really read, sadly.

 5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?

  • The best series I'd started would have to Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy. It's amazing. Seriously, seriously amazing. I'm currently marathoning the series and it's fantastic so far!
  • The best sequel of 2014 would have to be The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey - LOVED it!
  • The best series ender would have to be Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan, it was amazing.

 6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?

HOLLY SMALE! Her books are amazing and funny and I literally cry with laughter every time I read one of her books! Definitely a new favourite. I also love Laini Taylor's writing, it's seriously gorgeous!

7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?

I never read mystery/thriller as I'm a total wuss, but I read Boy Nobody by Allen Zadoff after checking it out at my library and I LOVED it! The ending was very unexpected, the characters were very real and it was incredibly past-paced. I HIGHLY recommend it.

 8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?

Probably Boy Nobody by Allen Zadoff, I sped through it as I couldn't wait to see what happened! Also, the third Skulduggery Pleasant book. Dude, the plot twists were insane.

 9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

I don't really reread books, so I'm not quite sure!

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3)

It's seriously beautiful. JUST LOOK AT IT.

11. Most memorable character of 2014?

Ahhh, there's so many! I'd have to say either Harriet from Geek Girl as she's so quirky and funny or Gus Waters from The Fault in Our Stars, he's so kind and wonderful and inspiring and *cries hysterically*. Also Valkyrie Cain and Skulduggery Pleasant, they're so brave and funny and sometimes quirky and I LOVE THEM,

 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?

Dandelion Clocks by Rebecca Westcott, the writer dealt with death in such a sensitive manner and the book conveyed the gorgeous relationship between a mother and daughter and how one has to live after a loved one passes away. I'd highly recommend it to everyone!

13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?

Probably If I Stay by Gayle Forman. It really made me think about the decisions we make in life and how they impact us as well as how important family is and how we must cherish each moment and not give up, even when it seems like one's whole world is crumbling.

 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read? 

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor! I've heard endless good things about the series and I'm glad that I finally read it! I really enjoyed it, although I did find the numerous flashbacks towards the end quite boring at times.

 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?

"I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if there is life after that, I'll love you then.” - Jace Wayland, City of Glass by Cassandra Clare. I love this quote, it's so beautiful!


16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?

Shortest: 192 pages (Ally's World  #3 by Karen McCombie)
Longest: 640 pages (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling)

 17. Book That Shocked You The Most

(Because of a plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.)
Probably The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey. The ending was completely shocking and it left me extremely bewildered as I tried to grasp what I'd just read. I also found the ending to Boy Nobody quite shocking, as I never expected him to do what he did. And the ending in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire where I'd forgotten what happened - HOLY MOTHER OF PLOT TWISTS.

18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)

(OTP = one true pairing if you aren’t familiar)
THIS IS SUCH A HARD CHOICE, I CAN'T CHOOSE. But my top three are Hagustus (Hazel and Augustus from The Fault in Our Stars by John Green), Percabeth (Percy Jackson and Annabeth Chase from Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan) and Madam (I don't even know if that's their ship name...Mia and Adam from If I Stay).

19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year

Valkyrie Cain and Skulduggery Pleasant. He really cares about her, but he doesn't hold her back as he knows she's more than capable. The banter between them is perfect and it's just such a wonderful friendship that they have!


20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously

Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan.

21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:

Nothing, actually, they're all books I've been interested in reading myself.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?

AH THERE ARE SO MANY. Probably Akiva from Daughter of Smoke and Bone, Augustus from The Fault in Our Stars and Evan Walker and Ben Parish from The 5th Wave.

23. Best 2014 debut you read?

Dandelion Clocks by Rebecca Westcott!

24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey, the Harry Potter series, the Mortal Instruments and Skulduggery Pleasant. 

25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?

DEFINITELY Geek Girl by Holly Smale, I was literally laughing 99% of the time.

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?

  1. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green 
  2. If I Stay by Gayle Forman
  3. The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
  4. Dandelion Clocks by Rebecca Westcott
  5. Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan
I cried during all of these, needless to say I can be quite a baby. 

27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?

A Murder Most Unladylike by Robin Stevens. It's so quirky and cute as well as a phenomenal mystery and it really deserves more attention!

28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?

  1. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green 
  2. If I Stay by Gayle Forman
  3. The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
  4. Dandelion Clocks by Rebecca Westcott
  5. Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan
Same ones listed in question 26.

29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. I know it's the whole good vs evil theme, but I haven't read any books that involved chimaera. So...probably Daughter of Smoke and Bone!

30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?

Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick. I really didn't like it and it made me SO mad because Nora is incredibly stupid, who falls in love with a boy that has admitted to stalking and attempting to kill her? Nora, that's who. Her idiocy made me incredibly mad.

1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2014? 

Notebook Sisters (run by Cait & Mime) and The Reading Dress (run by Jess). Their blogs are so incredibly well-written and often very humorous and their posts never fail to put a smile on my face!

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2014? 

My review for The Fault in Our Stars by John Green!

3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?

My discussion post for reading slumps...I think.

4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?/

Bout of Books, definitely! I love participating in the bout of books readathons because it really pushes me to read as much as possible and it's so fun discussing what I'm reading with other book lovers.

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?

When an author mentioned me on BBC radio, I was so honored!

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

My post that got the most page views (besides memes and readathon posts) was my discussion post for unread books, which got 597 page views, which isn't that much for other bloggers, but for me it is!

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?

My post for why I prefer taking my time to read! If you'd like to read it you can go here: http://blogofabookaholic.blogspot.com/2014/05/discussion-why-i-like-taking-my-time-to.html Totally not hinting *cough*.

9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?

Nothing that I can really think of!

10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

I completed my Goodreads goal (100/100).
2014 TBR pile challenge (21-30) and I read 27 books towards that.
My ebook challenge goal was 10 books and I've read 9.
For my review pile reading challenge, my goal was 30 books and I read 35. Yay!
For my Netgalley/Edelweiss challenge I read 6 out of 25, which is terrible, but at least I completed the other challenges! ;)


1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?

Gosh...probably Scarlet by Marissa Meyer, I got it last year December and I just haven't been able to get around to it!

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?

Magnuss Chase and the Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan, the first book in his new Norse mythology series. I CAN'T WAIT!!!

3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?

The Conspiracy of Us by Maggie Hall, it looks amazing!

 4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?

Winter by Marissa Meyer! I've only read Cinder so far, which I LOVED but I'm definitely looking forward to reading the last instalment as well as the other books in the series!

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?

I hope to:
  1. Be more organised with my blog
  2. Interact more with other bloggers
  3. Improve my blog's content

6. A 2015 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:

I haven't read a 2015 release yet. >.<