2018 Summer Reading Plan!



Making seasonal reading plans is one of my favourite things in the world. Do I stick to them? Not often. BUT I LOVE MAKING THEM ANYWAY. I have so many wonderful books to read this summer – I can't wait to show you!

I have quite a few library books I want to read and a lot of review copies too! I'm not planning on having a particularly busy summer, so I should be getting quite a lot of reading done. I was also thinking of hosting a summer readathon thing – would anyone be interested in that?

Generally in summer, I love reading contemporary novels. However, I've surprised myself this year, because the books are mainly of the fantasy/sci-fi genre. WHO EVEN AM I?! However, my review TBR is mainly contemporaries, so don't worry, I haven't been replaced by an alien or something. 



Yes, those are all library books. Yes, I did say I wouldn't take out library books this year. DON'T JUDGE ME. I JUST WANT TO READ ALL THE BOOKS OKAY. And I've already read one of these! Never Say Die, by Anthony Horowitz, if you were wondering. It was amazing. You should read it. 

I'm so excited to read Deception by Teri Terry. I checked Contagion out of the library (what a surprise) last summer, and I read it in pretty much one sitting. It's intense, it's chilling, gripping, unique...ALL THE GOOD THINGS. If you want a fast-paced summer read, you should definitely read it.

I first noticed Every Hidden Thing when I was browsing Waterstones. I'm not entirely sure what compelled me to pick it up as I didn't find the cover particularly interested (ah, my bookish shallowness has been revealed), but then I read the blurb and I was like "Holy cow, this sounds so good?!". PRIME EXAMPLE OF NOT JUDGING A BOOK BY ITS COVER. It's promoted as Romeo and Juliet meets Indiana Jones, and if you read the blurb, you'll see why. I don't know about you, but it sounds like a mash-up I never knew I needed until now. 

I have heard endless good things about Wing Jones. So when I saw it sitting in my library, my first though was "Ooh, its sprayed edges are so pretty" and "Everyone loves it. I'm going to read it. And hopefully love it, because if I don't that'll be a little awkies". SO I BORROWED IT AND I'M EXCITED TO READ IT.

I saw The Surface Breaks a day before my second-to-last exam and I squealed and immediately snatched it from the shelves. It was a glimmer of light in an otherwise dark, dark world. Ahem. I am SO EXCITED to read this. I'm not entirely sure what it's about (what's new), but I know it's a dark, feminist retelling of The Little Mermaid? I think. IT'S SO PRETTY.


AHHH I'M SO EXCITED TO READ FRESHERS!!! I listened to the authors give a talk at the Bath literature festival back in October. They seemed so nice and it made me want to read their book even more! You don't get a lot of books set at university, and as being a university student is the next phase of my life, I'm looking forward to reading a book about characters who are going through the same thing.

"AND TONIGHT I'M FEELING LIKE AN ASTRONAUT CAN ANYBODY TELL ME WHYYY I'M LONELY LIKE A SATELLITEEEE". Sorry, every time I read "Satellite" I think of the song Astronaut by Simple Plan. Good song. Much teenage angst. Anyway, I'm looking forward to this book. I love the premise. HOWEVER, I read the first few pages and things are purposefully (I hope) spelled weirdly, like "u c the sky is blue" (not a direct quote from the book, excuse my non-imaginative example). I think I'm going to struggle with that for the first few pages, but hopefully I'll get used to it. 

I'd always noticed The Loneliness of Distant Beings when browsing my library's shelves, but I'd never felt too compelled to pick it up. However, I was sent the prequel to review so I thought, "Whelp, time to read it". It looks quite good, so hopefully I'll enjoy it! 

THE ARCHIVED. I've been meaning to read this for approximately 756 years. I will get to it this summer. I WILL. Also, I'll finally be reading This Savage Song because it's my book club's book of the month. YAY! Time to read ALL THE SCHWAB.

I kindly got send The Crown's Fate to review, so I'm hoping to read The Crown's Game this summer so that I can get around to the sequel. I've heard mixed reviews on the books, but hopefully I'll love it! 

BATMAN BATMAN BATMAN!!! I really enjoyed the Wonder Woman novel in the DC Icons series, so I'm hoping I love Batman: Nightwalker, as he's one of my favourite super heroes EVERRRR.

I've been in a sci-mood lately, so when I saw Defy the Stars in my library I thought I'd try reading it. The two protagonists are enemies in an interstellar war, and the male protagonist is a machine who's been abandoned for years and whose advanced programming is kicking in. IT SOUNDS SO GOOD. I AM EXCITED.

I've heard so many good things about the Graceling trilogy, and I'm hoping to finally marathon it this summer. I HOPE I LOVE IT.

Take Back the Skies and The Sin Eater's Daughter are both books that my book club read that I missed out on. I SHALL READ THEM THIS SUMMER. Better late than never, right?

All Fall Down looks so good. I'm always up for a spy/political thriller. I've only read one Ally Carter book (The Heist Society), which I absolutely LOVED, so I have high hopes for this! 

Song of the Current looks so pretty and I love the premise: pirates and magic. Um, YES.

I'm not sure if I'll read Seraphina this summer, only because it seems like a more wintery read, you get me? I'm quite a seasonal reader, so I love reading fantasy/sci-fi novels when it's cold and rainy outside. However, I'm sure we'll get an overcast day sometime soon, and then I'll read it! It's got dragons in, by the way. I like dragons.

I'm also SO EXCITED to read The Last Namsara. It's so pretty and it's got dragons. I TOLD YOU I LIKED DRAGONS.

The Cruel Prince sounds amazing, and if it's anything like The Darkest Part of the Forest, I know I'm going to adore it.


I told you I'd be reading contemporaries this summer - it wouldn't feel like summer without them! Also, can we admire how well these books go together?! 

I've heard so many wonderful things about I Capture the Castle, and I have a feeling I'm going to absolutely love it. 

I'm also ECSTATIC to read Holly Bourne's latest novels! It Only Happens in the Movies and Are We All Lemmings and Snowflakes? sound epic. I've read three of Holly's books and I loved every single one of them. MY HOPES ARE HIGH.

The Names they Gave Us, Letters to the Lost, Stargazing for Beginners and No Filter are a few review copies I was sent last year (I know, I'm a bad blogger) that I never got around to. I really hope to get to them this summer! I think I'm going to love them. 

Ta-da! My summer reading list! I'm SO EXCITED to read all of these. Which book should I read first? Have you read any of these? What books are on your summer TBR?