Review - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - J.K. Rowling

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3)Title: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Series: Harry Potter #3
Author: J.K. Rowling
Publication: This edition published September 1st 2014, Bloomsbury Childrens
Pages: 480 Pages, Paperback
Source: Thank you to Jonathan Ball Publishers for sending me this book to review!
Rating: 5/5
Harry Potter is lucky to reach the age of thirteen, since he has survived the murderous attacks of the feared Dark Lord on more than one occasion. His hopes for a quiet school term concentrating on Quidditch are dashed, though, when a maniacal mass-murderer escapes from Azkaban, pursued by the soul-sucking Dementors who guard the prison. It’s assumed that Hogwarts is the safest place for Harry to be. But is it his imagination that is making him feel eyes watching him in the dark, and should he be taking Professor Trelawney’s ghoulish predictions seriously?
I was so excited to read The Prisoner of Azkaban as it was my favourite of the first four Harry Potter books I read. I wish I was reading it for the first time again so I could experience the plot twists and such without knowing what the outcome would be. It was so enjoyable and captivating just as I knew it would be! The suspense, the action, the characters, the fantasy element and the undercurrent themes of friendship, loyalty and family combined, totalled to an immensely entertaining and, and at times, quite a heart-breaking story. The Prisoner of Azkaban was astoundingly good and I loved it just as much, maybe even more so, than the first time reading it!

In The Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry Potter is returning to Hogwarts for his third year of wizardry training. However, the atmosphere is far from relaxed as Sirius Black, powerful wizard, who also happens to be a mass murderer is on the loose - and he's heading straight for Hogwarts...and straight for Harry. Soon Dementors, soul-sucking creatures that guard the prisoners of Azkaban (wizard prison) are swarming the school, terrifying the pupils and having a particularly nasty effect on Harry. Pupils aren't allowed to leave the school after dark and Harry is generally accompanied by someone everywhere he goes. The level of tension soars and the atmosphere is taut with nervousness as evidence of Sirius being in the castle appears. Soon everywhere is dangerous and everyone's nerves are frayed as they wait for the notorious killer and supporter of Voldemort to appear. However, things are never as they appear to be.

This book was fantastic! It was filled with so many plot twists and several revelations that shocked me nearly as much as the first time reading it. The writing was once again fabulous and the characters, oh, the characters - I just completely ADORE them! I couldn't find any faults with this book, it was magnificently written.

The plot in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was fantastic and the best of the ones I read. There are plenty of plot twists that will astound you and later on another one will be revealed that will have you disbelieving the other plot twist and leaving you in a puzzled state as you try to figure everything out. The suspense is immense and the constant guessing will have your heart racing and your finger nails completely gone as you sit at the edge of your seat, more plot twists buffeting you. It's SO good. Siriusly.

The characters are once again amazing. I felt quite a deep connection with Harry in this book, I finally understood just how traumatic it must've been for him to lose his parents and the torture he must surely go through knowing that he'll never be able to see them again. Harry showed such immense bravery yet again and his courage and kindness just grows constantly throughout the series.

I adore Ron as well and I really admire how he is always there for Harry and always there to back him up, despite the amounts of trouble he might get himself into. His loyalty and bravery is also something that is to be highly admired!

I absolutely adored Hermione in this book - even more than I usually do! The strain from all her studies was obviously getting to her and she was so spunky and sassy - it was highly amusing, especially Ron's reaction towards it! I think Hermione will always be my favourite character as I relate so much to her. She really inspires me to work my hardest and try to do the best at my school. She's also incredibly kind, brave and honest and just such a fantastic character.

The other new characters were really interesting and I grew close to several of them, especially Lupin and a certain someone else who I won't mention in case it spoils someone. I really hope to see them in the following books as I loved being in their "company". I also once again loved Hagrid and Dumbledore in this book. I love Hagrid's big heart and Dumbledore's kind, wise nature. Actually, all the characters in this series are fabulous.


The Prisoner of Azkaban was a phenomenal sequel! It's packed full of action, mystery, magic and humor! You will have your eyes glued to the pages and your fingers flicking through the pages at an immense rate. It was also quite saddening at times when we were given glimpses into Harry Potter's parents' final moments and it made me thank God several times that my parents are safe and sound and that so am I. It taught me to always listen to both sides of the story and to always be fair and not judge others by rumors, as often we view the situation wrongly. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was spectacular and I can't wait to read the next book! 

I give it: 5/5 CUPCAKES!