Review - I Am Number Four - Pittacus Lore

I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)Title: I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies #1)
Author: Pittacus Lore
Genre: Young Adult, Sci-fi
Publication: August 3 2010, Penguin
Pages: 374, Paperback














Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books--but we are real.Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and started hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. We have lived among you without you knowing. But "they" know. They caught Number One in Malaysia. Number Two in England. And Number Three in Kenya. They killed them all. I am Number Four. I am next.

I'm writing this review a day after reading the book, going against my personal policy to review a book straight after I've read it. Why am I going against my personal policy, you may ask? Because I needed to collect my thoughts, try and be calm, try to stop crying after that HEART-BREAKING ENDING! When I started I Am Number Four I really didn't know what to expect; I hadn't watched the movie, but I'd heard the book was quite good. I was just expecting this high action and adventure sci-fi novel that wouldn't hold any depth to it, I was so incredibly wrong. This book produced a bucket load of emotions that raged inside me. There was the heart-break of loss, the unfairness, the bitterness, the pain...I Am Number Four will have you sitting intensely on the edge of your seat, your eyes riveted to the book as you watch Four's fight of survival, and then just when you think everything is going to be a-okay, you're faced with another problem, or a heart-breaking discovery. I really underestimated I Am Number Four and boy, did it prove me wrong! If there was ever a book I thought I would dislike but loved, it would be this one.

I am now officially a science fiction fan. I've never really been interested in those type of books but I think since reading I Am Number Four, I might just have found my new favourite genre. Quite a few of my close bloggy buddies know that I want to be an astronomer when I'm older, and I suppose reading about these alien planets, and their atmospheres and what *might* be happening in space, fascinates me. Its such an incredible thought thinking that there are all those planets, galaxies and solar systems out there and that maybe there are other life forms living on one of those planets. I Am Number Four is a great science fiction novel. The alien planets that Pittacus Lore creates are described in detail. I can imagine the lush, green, alive Lorien bursting with colours, and then turning into a barren wasteland. I can clearly see the Mogadorians soldiers with their translucent skin and empty black eyes. I can see the desperation that is reflected in both the aliens of Mogadore and Lorien, they're both fighting to survive, both trying to save the only homes they know.

The writing immediately drew me in. Pittacus Lore (collaboration of (James Frey and Jobie Hughes) creates sentences that have you constantly in suspense: sentences, words, paragraphs and chapters that are inviting and gripping. The way they write forces you to continue reading; there is always something mystifying happening, something that you always want to know ends well. But when things are going smoothly, another shell-shocker is dropped and you are left wanting to finish reading the book, just to know how everything turns out, hoping that Four will be safe and that the rest of the Garde will be protected.


I loved Four/John. It must have been extremely difficult for him and Henri, to constantly be on the look-out, constantly keeping to themselves, and when something suspicious does occur, to then uproot and leave without saying good-bye. I really admired Four. I would have most probably been caught and killed, after all the years of moving and changing identities, the strength would have evaporated from my bones. Thank goodness that wasn't the case for Four. When Number Three had been caught and killed in Kenya, Four knew that he was next in line to be  slain by the Mogadorians. Four was extremely brave considering the circumstances, and he was never ready to give up. I honestly think he might be my new fictional crush, I mean, come on, his a hot alien, who is resistant to fire, can move things with his mind and he is super fast and strong.

I also absolutely ADORE Sam! His this cute, almost nerdy kid with an obsession with aliens. I loved reading the parts where Sam was watching Four training, he was so fascinated and I could just imagine the huge goofy grin drawn upon his face. His loyalty to Four and the aliens really made me feel happy; if my best friend told me she was an alien I'd fall about laughing, slap her on the back and say "Good one" and then when she proves it I'd probably pass out...so I was impressed by the way Sam handled it.

The romance in I Am Number Four was sweet; however, I will not permit my brain to believe that Four and Sarah's relationship will last forever. With Four constantly being on the run, and being an alien it's just not going to work. Whenever Four is with Sarah he is endangering her and I know he would be a wreck if anything hurt her, which forces him to stay away from her. Also, if he ever does move back to Lorien one day, Sarah won't be able to go with. AND Henri states that one of the kids that came to Earth is destined to be with Four. So there's a lot of complications that I don't think they'll be able to get through. Which is a pity, as I think they make a cute couple.

The storyline is extremely unique. The idea of two alien planets fighting on earth, involving the humans. Nine aliens chosen to carry out the powers of the Elders. Gaining their Legacies and powers. The series is definitely a new favourite!

The fighting scenes are seriously just...awesome. You may laugh at me, but straight after finishing I Am Number Four, I was throwing karate kicks and punches around the house, pretending I was fighting aliens. Don't laugh...you'll be doing that too...or maybe its just me. But the fighting will have you biting your nails with intense worry - just a warning before you read the book.

I Am Number Four is a fantastic start to what I am sure is a phenomenal series. With an original story idea that will take your breath away, action that will have you biting your nails furiously, characters that will wrench your heart out and superpowers that will have you green with envy, I Am Number Four is a thrilling book that will have you greedily wanting to read more in this awesome series. With kick-butt characters, nefarious aliens, a sweet romance and a heart-breaking ending, you couldn't ask for more.

I give it: 5/5 CUPCAKES!