The Quintessential Book Tag! 🌞🍨

 This tag was created by The Bookish Kat

I love book tags, especially seasonal book tags! I saw this on YouTube and I thought "YES! THAT LOOKS FUN!", so I decided to do it. I can't believe it's August already - it makes me so sad to think of summer ending, so I need to try to fit in as many summery posts as possible! 

If you'd like to do this post, I tag YOU. 💃 If you do this post, leave your link below so that I can check it out! 

 1. Iced Drink - a refreshing book 
🍹 all the crooked saints by Maggie Stiefvater 💘
This book was so unique; it was magical realism at its finest. It was so refreshing to read about characters who in their normality were extraordinary. It was refreshing to read about inner darkness in metaphors of saints and miracles. It was refreshing to see strong family units and realistic relationships.


2. Cotton Candy - a book that was fluffy and sweet
🍭 the unexpected everything by morgan matson 🍫
I read this recently and LOVED IT! The romance was so adorable. I hadn't felt that giddy about a ship in a long time. Although it was fluffy and sweet, it had a touch of depth and a lot of emotion to it, which was great! BUT AHH SERIOUSLY, so sweet!

3. Sunglasses - a dark book
😰 orphan monster spy by matt killeen 🙈
This book was dark. I wasn't expecting it to be as dark as it was. I mean, it is a war book. It's about a Jewish girl who infiltrates an elite Nazi school as a spy, so needless to say, it's not going to be sunsets and roses. However, there was sexual abuse, incest, murder, child abuse...it really wasn't a pleasant read. All the dark topics that were mentioned as well were completely brushed over and not addressed properly, I felt. If I'd known it contained all the stuff it did, I wouldn't have picked it up!
4. Picnic on a Rainy Day - a sad book
😭 satellite by nick lake 😿
I cried 5 times in the first 180 pages. It was a 400+ book. It wasn't even particularly sad in the beginning...but the writing was so raw and heartfelt and the characters so precious, I couldn't help but tear up. It did get super sad towards the end though. I cried more.

5. Sand - a book that irritated you
😫 my secret youtube life by charlotte seager 😤
This was an important book. It was a quick read from the POVs of a YouTube star and her dedicated fan. It spoke loudly about the dangers of social media, in terms of comparing yourself/the pressure to have a perfect life etc, which pretty much anyone who's on social media will be able to relate to. HOWEVER, the one character was so stupid I found myself rolling my eyes an unhealthy amount. She was so desperate for followers and fame that she made the dumbest decisions ever. UGH.

6. Summer Blockbuster - favourite book-to-movie adaptation
🎥 the last song by nicholas sparks 🍿
I watched the movie back in 2010 when it first came out and LOVED IT. I read the book this month and LOVED IT. After finishing the book, I was watching some clips on YouTube, which reminded me how much I adored the movie. I'll have to watch it again sometime! ALSO, did you know Nicholas Sparks wrote the screenplay for the movie? THAT EXPLAINS THE BRILLIANCE.

7. Dropped Ice Cream - a book you were anticipating that wasn't good
🍦 fangirl by rainbow rowell 😒
I was trying to include only books I'd read this year, but I couldn't think of a book I've read this year that fit this category, so I've had to resort back to a previous read. Fangirl is a book that pretty much everyone loves, and it's a book I thought for sure that I'd love too...but I didn't. I can't even remember why I didn't like it that much. I think maybe I just gel with Rainbow Rowell's books, as I've read another book by her and didn't enjoy that one either. CRY FOR ME.

8. Palm Tree - a tall book you loved
🌴 city of heavenly fire by cassandra clare 💖
I can't believe I finally read it, took me 4 years to pick it up, but I got around to it in the end. I LOVEEED this book! It was so emotional and captivating and engrossing and AH - such a brilliant finale!


9. Bonfire - a book you want to burn
🔥 take back the skies by lucy saxon 😡
I didn't hate this book enough to burn it, but it did frustrate me to no end. I really wanted to love it but just couldn't. The characters were incredibly whiny and petulant. The dialogue was kind of wooden. The romance was just...no. But mainly THE CHARACTERS. They were so annoying. Ugh.
10. Fireworks - a book that exploded onto the scene
🎆 the cruel prince by holly black 😻
This book has been talked about so much in the book blogging community. It was pretty much featured on most of the book blogs I visited. With a good reason, it's an amazing book. I was scared I wasn't going to love it and, for the first 200 pages, I didn't love it. After that though, things got SO GOOD  and I FELL IN LOVE.


Those are my answers! Would you agree with any of these? What books have you read lately that were refreshing and/or fluffy and sweet? If you do this, let me know so I can check out your post!