My Favourite New-to-Me Authors I Read in 2018!


I read so many amazing books in 2018, and I discovered some new favourite authors! I'm so excited to read MORE of their books in 2019, and of course, to discover more incredible authors in 2019. 

1. S. Jae-Jones
Wintersong was my first of 2018, and I LOVED it. Her writing is gorgeous, and I loved the romance and characters. I'm looking forward to reading more of her books!


2. Elly Blake
FROSTBLOOD WAS SO GOOD. I loved the characters; I loved the dialogue; I loved the world...it was all so wonderful. As soon as I buy the third book, I'm going to marathon the trilogy. I AM EXCITED. 


3. Maggie Stiefvater
I FINALLY READ A MAGGIE STIEFVATER BOOK. GO MEEE!!! I read All the Crooked Saints and LOVED it. In fact, I loved it so much that I reread almost immediately after finishing it. I've done that once in my life, so you can tell I really love this book a lot. The characters are written with such emotion and insight; the family dynamics were great; the writing was utterly magical, and I loved the concept. 


4. Melinda Salisbury
I read The Sin Eater's Daughter in a couple of hours and then immediately ordered the rest of the trilogy from my library. The stakes became higher with each book, and the plot twists would catch me by surprise every time. I loved the characters and the concept. I can't wait to read more of Melinda Salisbury's books! 


5. Nicholas Sparks
I've finally been reading Nicholas Sparks! This past summer I was browsing the adult fiction of my library and stumbled upon the Nicholas Sparks section. I've watched some of the movies but never read the books (who even am I), so I thought it's about time I try one of his books. I read See Me in a day. It was over 500 pages. I LOVED IT. I read Two by Two the following week and loved it. Then I read The Last Song (I watched the movie when I was 11 and LOVED it) and bawled my eyes out. BUT I LOVED IT. Definitely a new favourite author. 


6. Nick Lake
I read Satellite last year and MY HEART. I teared up over 8 times. It was such an emotional read. The characters were incredible; the story was incredible; the writing was incredible. EVERYTHING WAS INCREDIBLE.


7. Morgan Matson
I READ MY FIRST MORGAN MATSON BOOK!!! Everyone and their mother has been telling me to read her books, and I'd always wanted to but never got around it it. Well, this past summer I finally got around to it. I read The Unexpected Everything and LOVED it. The characters, the plot, the writing, the romance...it was amazing.


8. Jay Kristoff
Technically I can't put Jay Kristoff on this list, as I've read Illuminae and Gemina that he co-wrote, but this is the first novel by only him that I've read...so I'll count it. 🙈 I read LIFEL1K3 towards the end of 2018 and HOLY SCHNITZELS, it was so good. The plot twists! The writing! The friendships! The concept! SO GOOD. I neeeed the sequel.


9. Rachel Hartman
I read Seraphina last year and AHHH. It was so amazing. The writing was utterly gorgeous. The characters were so incredibly unique and fleshed out. The concept was intriguing. The world was richly detailed. It was such an amazing fantasy read. I'm so excited to read more from Rachel Hartman! 


10. Robin Benway
Another popular author in the YA book community that I only got around to reading last year. I read Far From the Tree and AH IT WAS SO, SO GOOD. The characters were so precious. The family dynamics were beautifully written about. The writing was really good. The dialogue was fantastic. Also, I cried a lot. I finished it in a cafe and there were tears streaming down my face. I'm okay, guys, just getting emotionally destroyed by a book again. ✌


These are some of the amazing new authors I discovered in 2018! 

Have you read books from these authors? Did you enjoy their books? Did you discover new favourite authors in 2018?