Monday, 26 January 2015

Personal Post #1: Aching Teeth and Anxiety


This weekend, I'm sad to say, has not been good to me. As some of you may know I suffer from severe anxiety disorder and although it's been better in recent months, it seems like it has returned. As some of you also may know is that I have quite skew teeth and I'm currently three months into my orthodontic treatment. So far I've had a removable plate and yesterday I got orthodontic spacers, which I'm pretty sure were made by the devil himself. Because it hurts. Badly. It's the worst pain I've ever felt and it's an utter living nightmare. My weekend has mostly consisted of:






See, I went to the orthodontist and I thought my plate was just going to be tightened but then he looked at my bite and decided it was time for the orthodontic spacers, and it's not good timing as my cousin's visiting for two weeks and I've basically been an anxious, crying wreck because of my teeth. Also, with anxiety, your senses are heightened and every little thing in your body you feel more. We also like knowing that we can "escape" an anxious situation and I know that I can't remove the spacers so it really freaks me out.

This is NOT my picture, I got it from here.
They're tiny but don't let that deceive you, it's as painful as anything because it's moving your teeth roots. YES, IT'S AS HORRIBLE AS IT SOUNDS. So whenever I chew something it's like sharp shooting pains throughout my teeth and jaw, so I mainly have to eat oats/noodles/the center of bread/yogurt because other things are too painful. Yesterday morning I woke up at 3:30 because the pain was so bad. 

I've been having really bad anxiety where I have constant heart palpitations, nausea, shakiness and where it feels like my whole body is burning up because I'm so anxious about the pain and how weird it all feels. Yesterday, after the pain got really bad and the panic attacks so intense, I was so tempted to pull them out and just go get straight teeth when I'm older. But my teeth are something I have quite a complex about, so I really want to continue the treatment even if that means being perpetually anxious.
Here are some pictures of my bottom teeth and my plate. The after photo was taken two months after the before photo and I was so happy when I saw the plate was actually working!

My plate!
My bottom teeth
 I'm hoping that the pain will get better soon. Next Monday I'm going to get the lower plate in and I'm utterly terrified, so wish me luck!

I just thought I'd like to share this with you guys because it's always nice getting to know the blogger behind their blog. Would you like to see more personal posts?

14 comments:

  1. Good luck for next Monday! I am so sorry that you've been feeling so terribly :(
    I already had so much pain with my braces that needed to move my teeth so I can't even imagine how much you must be hurting and combined with your anxiety getting worse :(


    I hope that it gets better really quickly -both the spacers and the anxiety attacks- and I'm sending you LOTS of virtual hugs! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you're going through so much :( All that dental pain sounds horrendous. And I know what anxiety feels like. Sending hugs! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Jolien! Means a lot! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much! And yes, anxiety sucks! :( x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. I've had braces for a veryvery long time, so I know all about the pain. I also have anxiety every now and then, I can only imagine how terrible it must be to have these combined. The only thing I can say is: keep reminding yourself of the results. Your teeth will look gorgeous! Good luck <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pain is terrible, but luckily it's a bit better now! On Sunday I was so tempted to just leave my teeth, but I really want straight teeth so I'll definitely keep reminding myself how lovely my teeth will look afterwards. Thank you so much! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg, I completely understand how AWFUL anxiety is AND orthodontist work. :( I started having corrective plates when I was 11. I was so shy and freaked out and anxious I couldn't even speak to the orthodontist until the last day of my treatment. Then I had to have braces when I was 15 and I had such a bad time with it all. I'm so perpetually terrified of dentists I NEVER EVER GO ANYMORE. That's the only benefit of being adult. *nods* No dentist. (Shhhh do not tell me I'll have to go someday. I will cry.)
    Anxiety is the worst. It really is. It sucks because so many people don't understand it (or don't think it's legit) and...and it can make you feel so so alone. SO I UNDERSTAND. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm also in the midst of orthodontic treatment but I only have braces and, at the moment, elastics which I have to hook around my bottom molars to a little loop in my top wire near my canine teeth on either side of my mouth. I've got used to them now but I still hate the sensitivity I feel in my mouth and the way it'll sometimes hurt to eat when I get my braces tightened. I'm lucky enough that it doesn't really hurt much anymore. I really hope the pain eases soon for you! And, in a few months, maybe you won't have to worry about it at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh goodness. I'm sorry that there's been a lot of pain in your life right now. I have had braces but I'm so fortunate that my experience included absolutely no pain. Which actually scares a lot of people. Like I was told to expect mountains of pain but then all I did was eat more and have no repercussions (teeth wise, weight wise was a different story LOL). I do get anxiety as well but it only happens every now and again. Having anxiety AND going through the experience must be horrendous. I'm sending good vibes your way, Kyra <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww :((( I HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER. :/ I've only had braces and they HURT so I can't imagine what this feels like. *huggles*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww thank you so much, Nikki! I'm feeling a lot better now! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard it's quite sore when braces get tightened. I guess we'll just have to keep reminding ourselves that we'll have gorgeous smiles at the end of this! And thank you, the pain has eased but I'm getting my other plate tomorrow so I hope that won't be too painful! >.<

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also have plates! They're not toooooo bad, well, my top plate isn't, I'm getting the bottom one tomorrow and I'm SCARED because it's non-removable! I also really don't like dentists/orthodontists. They petrify me. *hides behind my books* Yes, anxiety is terrible and people who don't get it don't understand how awful it can be. Thanks, Cait! <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahh that's great! I think I have a really low pain threshold though, so that could be one of the reasons I had so much pain haha! ;D Thank you, Jess! <3

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my blog! I appreciate every single comment and they always make my day. I love making new bookish friends so don't be afraid to say hi! :) x