Tuesday, 16 December 2014

Top Ten Tuesday #22 - Top Ten Books I Read in 2014


GUYS. 2014 is nearly over and that is kind of terrifying. BUT it's nearly a new year, which means more new books that will be released and a whole other year for reading books, making blogging friends and discovering new book blogs. Yay!

Now, I am quite an indecisive person so it was quite hard for me narrowing the list down to only ten but HERE IT IS:

Top Ten Books I Read in 2014:
The Fault in Our StarsDandelion ClocksThe One and Only IvanThe Infinite Sea (The Fifth Wave #2)Murder Most Unladylike (Wells and Wong, #1)If I Stay (If I Stay, #1)What Happened to GoodbyeBeautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1)Model Misfit (Geek Girl, #2)
Boy Nobody (Boy Nobody, #1)
  1. The Fault in our Stars by John Green. I finally decided to read TFioS after hearing practically everyone raving about it. As you guys may or may not know, I am a hypochondriac and books dealing with illnesses of any kind freak me out. Severely. But I read it and I LOVED IT! I loved the humor and the romance and the authentic manner in which death and illness was dealt with and it was just SO GOOD.

  2. Dandelion Clocks by Rebecca Westcott. This is a middle-grade novel also dealing with death and illness and it's dealt with in such a gentle, sensitive manner and the family dynamics were great, the main character was wonderful, there was some humor and it was just all around such a beautiful and heart-warming book.

  3. The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate. This book needs to be read by all animal-lovers and non-animal lovers. It is such a wonderful book with such simplistic sentences that make the book so powerful. I loved Ivan - who was a gorilla - and I'm sure Katherine described perfectly accurately what goes through an animal's head, especially one that has been forced into confinement. 

  4. The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey. I thought I enjoyed The 5th Wave more, but I think I actually enjoyed this second instalment even more so than its predecessor. There were some serious plot twists, specifically at the end of the novel which had me questioning everything I thought I knew about the book. It was utterly fantastic and I can't wait for the third book!

  5. A Murder Most Unladylike by Robin Stevens. Because I am a utter wuss, I barely ever read murder mystery books but when I got this to review, I read it and it was utterly fantastic! It was funny, the characters were amazing and at times the suspense was so incredibly intense I needed to take a five minute break to catch my breath. Not only that, but the author is absolutely lovely!

  6. If I Stay by Gayle Forman. I was a bit dubious when it came to reading this (don't ask me why because I have absolutely no clue) but I read it and I loved it. It made me think about how much family means, it made me think of how we should appreciate the time we have with our loved ones and it just made me realise how short life is and how we need to cherish every moment. This book made me cry like a baby but I loved every minute spent reading it and I can't wait to read the sequel!

  7. What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen. I was never really a fan of Sarah Dessen but then I read This Lullaby and after loving that I progressed to What Happened to Goodbye which I loved. I loved the whole concept of it and I loved Mclean and Dave and the whole community project. I highly recommend it!

  8. Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl.  I was quite sceptical of reading this as I'd heard mainly negative reviews about it, so I was surprised to find myself absolutely loving it! I loved the plot and the characters and the writing and I'm looking forward to continuing the series!                                    

  9. Model Misfit by Holly Smale.  I don't think I could praise Holly's books enough. I loved Model Misfit even more than the first book, I learned new things and I laughed twice ad much as I did in the first book! I love the protagonist and her friends and her family and the love interest and just read it already!

  10. Boy Nobody by Allen Zadoff. As I've said before, I barely ever read thrillers but Boy Nobody was an exception. I loved the premise, I loved the characters, I loved the writing and the fast-pace, I can't wait to get my hands on the sequel!
Those are the top ten books I've read this year! What are yours?

35 comments:

  1. Love John Green and Gayle Forman. great picks!

    here's my TTT



    Janhvi @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I'd imagine John Green would be a pertinent guest in most of today's TTT. Frankly, I'm not surprised. :) I loved it, too. :) Thanks for the follow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed The Fault in Our Stars when I read it. I also love If I Stay, such a beautiful book. I need to hurry up and read Boy Nobody, I've heard great things about that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! If I Stay didn't make my list, but I must admit that, like you, I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I was going to when I read it last month. :) I'd quite like to check out the film adaptation now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pleasure! And yes, John Green is a fantastic author. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy Nobody is fantastic! Let me know when you read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't like the film that much but I know many people who did - hope you enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh gosh, I am actually one of the people who negatively reviewed Beautiful Creatures... ack, just not my thing! But I did like TFIOS... and the movie was pretty good, so many tears, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great picks!! I've only read TFiOS and If I Stay but they were both so emotional! I cried for both :(

    Eileen @ BookCatPin

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I Stay was such a good one! And TFIOS destroyed me, I still tear up thinking about that one. Both are books that really bring out the feelings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I Stay is one of my all-time favorites. And I like the sound of Dandelion Clocks! Looks like you had a great year in books.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely Fault in our stars was epic, I added Murder Most Unlady like to my TBR, I love adult mysterys but am a bit overwhelmed by the amount of books I want to read. Thanks for stopping by, awesome list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Murder Most Unladylike sounds like a great YA Cozy! If you don't like scary books but like mysteries, you should try Cozies. The Aunt Dimity books by Nancy Atherton, or Agatha Christie's Miss Marple stories are good examples.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I quite enjoyed TIS, thought it was a pretty solid sequel. I think I enjoyed book one more, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't read any of those, glad you enjoyed them. Thanks for sharing! Here's my Best Books of 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've only read TFiOS and If I Stay, but I didn't read them this year. I loved them both though!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I heard a LOT of negatives for If I Stay and I was pretty dubious....but I LOVED IT SO MUCH TOO! 5-stars all the way!! I practically bawled my eyes out and the audio version was just beautiful. Sooo excited to see the movie now. xD

    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooh!...Infinite Sea fan? Gah, I wasn't too crazy about that, just because I didn't remember enough about the series to jump in but I was too impatient for a reread...Bad choice.


    You loved If I Stay? I cried as well but...I wasn't really wowed by it. BUT I'M GLAD YOU LOVED IT! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. I completely sobbed during the TFioS movie - it was brilliant, but utterly heart-breaking!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Same here! Thank you for following! <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. I know right?! I sobbed during both of them. Such good books!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I definitely did. If I Stay was fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. A Murder Most Unladylike is really good, hope you enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you so much! Will definitely check those out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. A lot of people preferred The 5th Wave. I loved how in TIS we got to see more of the characters though and that plot twist at the end was amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. SAME! I was sitting in my room, clutching the book at 1am, crying. I must've looked pathetic haha! I hope you enjoy the movie, I didn't like it as much as I'd hoped I would - the book is much better!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have such a bad memory so I always try to wait for the series to be finished before I read it. Who knows if I'll remember anything when the third book is released?! Aww sorry you didn't love it! Have you read the sequel? :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I feel out of the loop, I've only read TFIOS on your list, though I did love it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Aah, The Fault in Our Stars! I love that book so much? And I really need to read If I Stay and the Geek Girl series because you seem to love them so much? So I have to check them out. I enjoyed Beautiful Creatures too, although I'd seen the movie before the book and already knew the big lines of the plot... And The Infinite Sea! I really don't know why I haven't read that one. I really loved the 5th Wave, so...



    Such a great list Kyra! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. 1. I'm not a big fan of TFiOS (I did love the movie a lot more, though) or John Green in general, but I'm glad the bookish love for this one's spreading! <3

    4. The 5th Wave was a DNF for me (way to be a party pooper, Aimee), but I've heard some pretty good things about The Infinite Sea and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    6. I didn't love If I Stay (gee, what's wrong with me?), but I LOVED Where She Went. That one was gorgeous and made me cry rivers.

    8. Yay! Beautiful Creatures was actually one of my gateways to YA. It's one of the first YA books I've read and enjoyed. ;)

    10. I've heard awesome things about Boy Nobody and one of my co-bloggers really enjoyed it, so I have to bump it up my TBR a bit. :)

    Awesome list, Kyra! Thanks for sharing. :)

    Aimee @ Deadly Darlings

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ooh yes the Geek Girl series is so freaking cute! Yes TFIOS totally deserves to be on that list. So many emotions D:

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a fab collection of books! I too loved TFIOS and If I Stay and the Geek Girl series and SARAH DESSEN. *high five*

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my blog! I appreciate every single comment and they always make my day. I love making new bookish friends so don't be afraid to say hi! :) x