Monday, 15 December 2014

My Bookish/Blogger Confessions

I've been wanting to write this post up for awhile as I have some bookish/blogger confessions that I thought would be quite fun to post! They're not fascinating, they're not spectacularly interesting but they are thoughts and feelings and things that I'd like to "confess" and I'd be interested to see if you share the same ones, too!

Let the confessions commence!

My Bookish/Blogger Confessions:
  1. My Netgalley ratio is horribly low. And I mean, horribly low. I've seen posts with people saying "My ratio is so bad, it's at 70%." or "50%" - percentages that are quite high. Let me tell you something: My Netgalley ratio only recently reached double digits. Yes, it's horrible and I'm trying my best to raise it. When I first got Netgalley, I requested every book under the sun and now I'm sitting with several books that I have no interest in reading, but I have to in order to raise my ratio. It's quite a quandary, I can assure you. BUT next year I shall solely be focusing on my review copies and when I eventually raise that ratio it shall be a joyous, momentous occasion with plentiful amounts of chocolate cake.

  2.  I'm a slow(ish) reader. I'm not one of those people who can sit down and finish a 400 page book in a couple of hours, I like taking my time to read and I'm the kind of person who likes reading and picturing every single detail. It's very rare for me to read a book in one sitting, as I generally prefer reading books over two or three days.

  3. I'm very behind to jump on bookish bandwagons. Hence the above, I can be quite slow to read books that are being majorly hyped. There are several popular books I haven't read yet: the rest of the Harry Potter series (I plan on reading the next three books over the next few weeks), City of Heavenly Fire, Cress, The Winner's Curse and several hundred other books that have currently escaped my mind. Not only that, but I'm scared to read books that are being hyped because I don't want to have sky-high expectations only to be severely disappointed. Hush Hush and Fangirl being examples of that. I will read the books eventually, but at the moment I'm trying to get through my review pile.  
  4. I feel guilty when I reread. I currently just finished rereading the Percy Jackson series (WHICH I LOVED AND FELT ALL THE FEELS) but after rereading the series, I felt quite bad because I thought of how many review copies I could've read in that time it took to read a series that I'd already read. And I must admit that sometimes it's a dilemma that most book bloggers and even readers in general experience, because why should we read something that we've already read when there's so many new books to read? I mean, I personally reread because I miss the characters who feel like my best friends. I miss the adventures I embarked on with those best friends. Rereading is like living, not reliving, but living a memory all over again and I love that, but, I don't want to feel guilty every time I pick up a book that I've already read. It also doesn't help that I am a slowish reader so reading a book takes me a bit longer and I feel like I'm really "wasting time" in a sense when I reread. But reading is fun, it's my hobby and even if some people view rereading as stupid, if it makes me happy, I'm going to do it, even though I might feel guilty afterwards - which is dumb.

  5. Sometimes I don't feel like reading. And I feel bad for saying that. Sometimes I would rather write, play piano or guitar, draw, blog or do something completely unproductive such as tweet random things or scroll through my Instagram feed. And when I'm doing something that I realise isn't going to actually get me anywhere or dwindle my TBR pile, I start feeling guilty that I'm not reading but I don't want to do something when I don't feel like it, which might result in a reading slump. 

  6. I don't always like writing reviews. Sometimes I finish a book and the last thing I feel like doing is writing a review for that book, especially because I seem to be incapable of writing shorter reviews. Occasionally I don't know what to say and I just stare at the laptop hoping that somehow words might magically appear on screen. Spoiler: They don't. Reviews can be hard to write, especially if you really like the book and I don't always enjoy writing them because writing/formatting a review can take me two hours and sometimes I just want to read other books, but I can't because:

  7. I can't read another book if I haven't finished the review for my previous read. This is a very annoying thing, but it's simultaneously a very helpful thing, as then I don't have 10 books needing to be reviewed. It can be quite annoying though if I want to read another book immediately after but RESTRAINT.

  8. My TBR pile is out of control. Severely out of control. I literally have over 400 physical books and quite a few on my Kindle that I need to read yet I keep buying books. I have, however, been quite good lately and only bought one book the whole of the last couple of months. *pats self on back*

  9. I generally can't read in public places. I'm one of those people who can't read if there's music or a lot of talking, I need relative quietness in order to read which is very, very frustrating. 

  10. I get nervous talking to "bigger" book bloggers. Although they are really nice, I do get nervous talking to them as I know they've been blogging for years and they have quite a large amount of people following them and reading what they have to say. It intimidates me because I don't want to say something silly or amateurish to such well-known bloggers. The bigger bloggers have been very nice to me though, so I'm not as shy to say hi anymore.

These are some of my bookish confessions! Do you do any of these? Which confessions can you make?

8 comments:

  1. I'm going to comment using your numerals, it'll be easier to follow!

    1. I was so careful when I first registered for Netgalley because I'd heard that a lot of bloggers have that problem. I'm starting to request more and more though and I have a feeling I'm going to regret it too. And I just signed up for Edelweiss today and requested like 8 books at once. Whoops.

    3. ME TOO! I still haven't read The Winner's Curse and so many other well-loved books. I'm always afraid I won't like them because it happened with The Maze Runner...

    4. I feel a bit guilty when I reread but I usually do it when I'm in a reading slump I need to get out of or when I don't really have time for reading anyways. It makes me feel less guilty then because I wouldn't be able to read another book anyway!

    8. I don't own that many physical books but I have sooo many eBooks. I feel a little bit less guilty about it because I don't have to stare at them on my shelf :p

    9. ME NEITHER. I can't really read in public places either but because I feel so judged! Not because of the quiet, I can zone out all of the noise but I always feel judged...

    10. I've only been blogging for like 3 months so I generally feel nervous talking to every blogger! I always feel like I'm going to say something ridiculous...

    And my own confession:
    11. I feel guilty when I don't have time. I have a lot of work for university and in the coming month -January- I have about 9 to 10 exams. Which means I'll have like zero time. And it makes me feel so guilty! But my education is very important to me as well and while I don't want to let anyone down, university is my priority.

    This is such a great post Kyra! I think most of us feel the same way an are just afraid to admit it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man. I'm only at 48 percentile at NG. I suck reading books on e-readers, that's why. :/ These are great! A lot of your sentiments are probably shared by most of us, so thanks for giving it a voice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. My ratio isn't terrible, but it isn't great either. I made the mistake of requesting and downloading far too much when I first signed up, which wasn't good.


    2. Me too. I have actually been trying to raise my reading speed. I realise I do sub-vocalisation, which slows down your reading speed by a lot. That's where you seem to be saying the words aloud in your head. If I can cut that out then I should be able to read a bit faster. I like taking in every detail, but I also need to shrink my massive TBR pile.


    3. I can be that way with so many series - City of Bones, The Raven Boys and so many more.


    4. Haha me too at times. I'm currently doing the #harryxmastoyou readathon/watchathon - I'm reading all 7 books and watching all 8 movies. I feel a little bad about all my neglected review copies, but I'm enjoying myself and that matters more.


    5. I'm the same, but I don't feel bad about it. Everyone has reading slumps or times when they'd rather be doing something else.


    7. I need to start doing that again because now I have 10 reviews waiting to be written, NOT GOOD!


    8. MINE TOO! I own about 400 books I haven't read, and that's just the physical ones.


    9.I can! I could read anywhere, haha.


    10. I think I have started to get over this and just like commenting and talking to people now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These were great! My biggest confession is probably that I haven't finished a book (for fun) in months. First semester of college threw a lot at me.


    But I totally agree with #10. The big ones are inspirations and incredibly impressive people. And sometimes I don't feel like reading. Right now I'm on break so I'm thinking I should finish this book that I genuinely enjoy, but I'm also really wanting to watch an episode of Orphan Black. My NetGalley ration on the other hand is quite good just because I rarely use NetGalley so I end up finishing everything on there... eventually. :p


    -P.E. @ The Sirenic Codex

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA my NG ratio is a JOKE. I can't even. I'm fixing that soon though, I hope. I'd love to slow down my reading as well but...I read quickly and every detail. I don't know how I do it. It's insane. I always go back because I think I'm missing out on something but nah, I remember all the details (that's momentary though because I forget things once they leave the two week memory boundary haha)


    YAY! I can't read another book until my reviews done as well. It drives me insane though because my book turnover is crazy.


    Can't read in public? I can understand why. Personally it doesn't bother me though! I can block most things out :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't like reviewing books a lot of times too. Sometimes I like to think that I'll drop reviews off my blog altogether and focus more on other types of bookish posts but we'll see! I don't like reading in public very much either, except on public transport. I think the fact that you review a book straight away is amazing. I cannot do that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't read around people either. A while ago, I could read in the middle of a punk rock concert and not notice a thing, but now I need to have a proper quiet place /without/ people to read, so I totally know what you mean. HAHAHA, I get nervous aroung 'big bloggers' the same way XD

    A bookish confession I have to make, contrary to usual book bloggers, is that I dog ear books. So many people say that they don't, that it's despicable :D But it's something that's remained a part of me!

    Nirvana @ Home

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it when people really take their time to read. I would say I'm between slow/fast. I can read a book in one sitting, but at the same time I do spend time taking in all the details :) I could read faster if I wanted to. I sometimes feel so behind on series and books! It's just that I don't like to read very hyped books all the time, but then you do get behind on everyone. I think everyone sometimes doesn't feel like reading. There are more things in life than books :) One of my other hobbies is watching movies and TV shows, so sometimes that's all I do in a week.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my blog! I appreciate every single comment and they always make my day. I love making new bookish friends so don't be afraid to say hi! :) x