Sunday, 30 November 2014

Discussion Post: What Makes You Comment on Blogs?

Today I was pondering, as I often do and reminiscing (as I also tend to do) and procrastinating (which I will shamefully admit I happen to do frequently) and looking at old blog posts and page views for that post vs the comments for that post. I saw that the amount of page views was far, far larger than the amount of comments (yes, I am aware that, unfortunately, a lot of those page views will be from spammers) and I was wondering, what makes us comment on other blogs? What content is so appealing that it makes the person on the other side of the screen divulge a morsel of their thoughts? 

I will admit, I don't comment on blogs as much I should. I haven't been able to even visit blogs lately because of school work, which is quite unfortunate and makes me sad. 


BUT the summer is nearly upon us, I can feeeeeel it in my bones (and in the increasing temperature, but I like to think I'm special.) Which means the holidays are around the corner. Which means free time for blogging and commenting and reading and fangirling. Huzzah!


When I read blog posts, I will try to leave comment, even if it's just a short one. Sometimes at that moment I don't have the time but I always try to return to the post. I also generally only read posts if they discuss an interesting topic or the blogger is reviewing a book that I have interest in, because unfortunately I don't have time to read all the blog posts, although I'd very much like to!

So basically, I go through my feed and find posts that interest me and if I read a post which makes me think or has me wanting to comment a thought that it has induced within my frazzled brain, I will comment. Even if I don't have anything to say, I will try to comment back as I think if we are reading a post which a blogger has poured their blood, sweat and tears into (that might be a tad dramatic, but you get my drift) and even if don't have much to share, any blogger likes seeing a comment acknowledging that someone has taken the time and effort to read their precious. I also tend to comment on posts that aren't memes (unless I'm participating in said meme) but discussions/reviews because the memes can shortly get repetitive. 

That's my opinion. What makes you leave comments on blogs? Must the post invoke powerful emotions within you? Must you have read the book or must the book be one you've heard of? Are you more likely to comment on reviews on books you have or haven't read? Please, share your thoughts! 

9 comments:

  1. Kyra, I'm TOTALLY on the same page as you with this whole 'not commenting as much as I should be' thing. I've been really overwhelmed with school as well, and it can be so hard to manage it all, you know? I've been doing my best to at least read more posts (to stay informed about books + give people some much deserved pageviews!) on my phone. I find that I always have a ton of down time during school, those few minutes while we're waiting for class to start, or something. So, I've been doing my best to read more blogs and comment more during those times.

    I pretty much try to comment on anything I read, which is hard, but I always want the blogger to know that I've stopped by. I also love sharing my thoughts, haha, so it's good for me, too. ;) I'll almost always comment on discussion posts first when I'm going through my feed, because those are always a lot more thought-provoking to me. Then, I'll normally comment on reviews and such, to see someone else's thoughts and/or their opinions to decide whether or not I should read it (if it's one I haven't read!). Like you, I don't comment on memes all the time. They can be pretty simple, and I especially dislike the ones with no sort of actual content. TTT's are the exception though, because most of the time, people have their commentary for each book, which I love reading.

    So yeah! I like talking and commenting, basically. ;)

    Lovely post, Kyra! It was a great discussion idea! <3

    -Aneeqah @ My Not So Real Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, I always comment on posts that interest me. I always also try to leave a comment back and check out a blog if someone has took the time to check out mine! I also have blogs that I regularly look at and if they've reviewed a book or mentioned a book I'm interested in, this also makes me comment. Finally, my bookish friends! I try to comment on their blog posts often because they're all so lovely and I always read their content, I want to give them a friendly reminder that I do read their content every now and again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaah school work, I remember the not so distant days. But I feel you with the time constraints. I work quite a bit now and that takes up my AM. And by the time I get home, I'm exhausted. I don't get everything done and dusted with life until about 10pm and that's when I crawl into bed and finally have time to read some posts. Blogging, reading blogs and commenting often takes me up until 1am. INSANE right? I probably don't sleep as much as I do but I'm working on that. The point is, nowadays, I have to be pickier about what I comment and read. I generally avoid all memes and reviews where I've read the book and have since read many a review on (unless it's someone's reviews that I really adore) or reviews for books I care not for. I love a good discussion post though, or anything refreshing really. I'm hoping for some time soon to check out some newer blogs BUT TIME CONSTRAINTS. Which suck. What I am glad for is the fact that I've read this discussion, my dear. Fantastic topic! <3 x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to comment a lot every day, but that was when school wasn't so busy and I had loads of free time. I recently started my internship and I can already feel the energy going down and I have less time to do blog-related stuff. This means I had to cut down on my commenting time, but I always try to leave something when I feel I have something interesting to add to the post. So I try to comment mostly on discussion posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, it's horrible not having time to blog/read/reply to comments! For a week or so I tried commenting on every post in my feed but it took up a lot of time, so now I comment more on posts that highly interest me or on books that I've read or will be planning to read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! <3 Wow, that is late! Hopefully you'll be able get more rest after the Christmas season is finished. I also went through a phase where I commented on EVERY POST but it was too time consuming so now I also only comment on discussion posts and reviews if I want to read the book or if I have read the book. I don't comment on memes (unless I'm participating in it) because there's so many of them and most people do them! Thanks for stopping by, Jess! <3 xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Same here, I also stop by blogs that have stopped by mine. It's also a great way of making new bloggy friends! I also have favourite blogs and blogs that are run by my blogging friends where I stop by. Thanks for commenting! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally get that! School requires all my attention and it's very hard making time for other blogs and even reading (which really saddens me), but it's holidays now so MORE TIME! YAY! :D


    I also try to comment on a lot of posts, mainly discussion/personal posts and reviews on books that I want to read or have read. I also don't comment that much on memes (unless I'm participating in it!) but TTT posts are very fun to read! :)


    Thanks so much for commenting! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've noticed that my commenting has severely dropped lately. But I have noticed some things... I comment more on bookish posts that aren't reviews. I only comment on (and read) reviews where I've already read the book and written my own review. I'm more likely to comment on a blog post (and generally that blog) if I know the blogger already (through his/her comments on my blog or twitter etc) I'm more likely to comment if the blog post is interesting/new/different and if it has pictures and paragraph breaks. I don't even look at IMM/Stacking the Shelves type posts and rarely at monthly/weekly wrap ups. It's interesting to look at commenting habits :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my blog! I appreciate every single comment and they always make my day. I love making new bookish friends so don't be afraid to say hi! :) x