Review - Doctor Who, The Stone Rose - Jacqueline Rayner

Doctor Who: The Stone Rose - Jacqueline Rayner
Title: The Stone Rose
Author: Jacqueline Rayner
Genre: Time Travel, Statues, Greek
Publication Date:  BBC Digital, September 21, 2008
Pages: Paperback, 229 pages


Mickey is startled to find a statue of Rose in a museum a statue that is 2,000 years old. The Doctor realises that this means the TARDIS will shortly take them to Ancient Rome, but when it does, he and Rose soon have more on their minds than sculpture. While the Doctor searches for a missing boy, Rose befriends a girl who claims to know the future a girl whose predictions are surprisingly accurate. But then the Doctor stumbles on the hideous truth behind the statue of Rose and Rose herself learns that you have to be very careful what you wish for.


Okay, lets clear one thing, I LOVE Doctor Who, especially David Tennant and Billie Piper together! 
I have read quite a few DW books and watched a LOT of the episodes and when I found this book for only R20 on sale at a bookstore, I couldn't help but buy it! I started reading it a couple of weeks ago (I've been pretty slow with my reading lately :()  and I finished it yesterday, and I'm afraid to say it didn't quite live up to my expectations. 


I enjoyed the whole idea behind it and some parts were written well, but to me, it felt as if she was not writing properly and rushing. And towards the end things got quite complicated (Not sure if that's just me and my little IQ (Lol) or if anyone else thought the same) and I wasn't exactly sure what was going on.


I liked the relationship with the Doctor and Rose and how Rose couldn't keep her mouth zipped during some parts, which was quite funny. I also thought the idea was really interesting. 


On the negative side, like I said before, the writing jumped about a bit and it was poorly written. There were parts where she could have really gone into detail and make it flow smoother, but she didn't. Also some quite cheesy parts.


On the whole, if you want to read a book about time travel and an evil sculptor petrifying people, read it. But this one was just not for me. If you have been put off the idea of reading Doctor Who, don't be. Just try reading another one, such as Forever Autumn, it's AMAZING! 


I give it: 2 CUPCAKES!