Top Ten Tuesday - My Childhood Favourites



I've slightly changed the topic for today. Instead of doing the topic Top Ten Books I Wish I’d Read As a Child, I thought I'd do a post on the books that shaped my reading when I was a young'un. I'm a very nostalgic person and quite enjoy the odd trip down memory lane, so off we go! 


1. A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
Our neighbour loaned me the first book to read when I was around five or six years old and I LOVED it. It was the first "proper" book I read and I devoured it. I read quite a few of these (whichever ones were available at my library or what my parents would buy me) but I don't think I ever read all of them. It's definitely something I want to do at some point! 

The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)

2. Matilda by Road Dahl
This remains one of my all-time favourite books, and it was the only book (prior to book blogging) that I read multiple times. I really want to read this again and remind myself why I loved it so much!

Matilda 

3. The Secret Seven by Enid Blyton
I was a die-hard Enid Blyton fan when I was younger. The Secret Seven books were also some of the first books I ever read. My dad would go on business trips to India a lot when I was younger, and he would often bring me back Secret Seven books to read. These books made me want to be a detective (but then I got older and realised being a detective ain't for the fainthearted). 

The Secret Seven (The Secret Seven, #1)The Secret Seven Adventure (The Secret Seven, #2)Well Done, Secret Seven (The Secret Seven, #3)

4. Adventures of the Wishing Chair by Enid Blyton
I was OBSESSED with this book. I loved how magical and whimsical it was. I truly felt like I was in the book when I read this. 💗

Adventures of the Wishing Chair

5. Percy Jackson by Rick Riordan
I started reading these when I was twelve and I absolutely LOVED them. I have so many happy memories of reading this series. It's also the only series I've reread in its entirety. SO GOOD. SO MANY FEELS.

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2)The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3)

6. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
This is one of my favourite books ever!!! I absolutely adored Anne, the other characters, the story, the writing...it was all so perfect. I want to read the whole series at some point. I love, love, loveee this book! 

Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1)

7. Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen Books
I had SO MANY of the Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen books. I used to binge-read them, and I'm pretty sure I used to read two or three of them a day. I sold my collection when I moved to England...it was a sad day.

The Case of the Game Show Mystery (The New Adventures of Mary-Kate and Ashley, #27)The Case of the 202 Clues (The New Adventures of Mary-Kate & Ashley, #1)The Case of the Cheerleading Camp Mystery (The New Adventures of Mary-Kate & Ashley, #17)

8. Rainbow Magic Series by Daisy Meadows
These books were EVERYWHERE when I was a kid. At the libraries, in my school, in bookstores...it was huge. I used to LOVE these (who doesn't love a good fairy book?) and this was also a series where I would read multiple books in one day.

Ruby the Red Fairy (Rainbow Magic, #1)Amber The Orange Fairy (Rainbow Magic, #2)Crystal The Snow Fairy (Rainbow Magic #8; Weather Fairies, #1)

9. Michael Morpurgo's Books
I used to LOVE Michael Morpurgo's books! Except that one with the greyhound. That scarred me. ANYWHO, I read a lot of his books when I was younger. The Butterfly Lion? SO GOOD.

War Horse (War Horse, #1)Private PeacefulThe Butterfly Lion

10. Cathy Cassidy's Books
I read most of Cathy Cassidy's books when I was younger. I absolutely ADORED them and she was definitely one of my favourite authors! I kind of want to read her new books, just to see if I still like them as much as I used to. 

Sundae GirlDriftwoodMarshmallow Skye (The Chocolate Box Girls, #2)

Did any of these books play a part in your childhood? Do you plan on reading any of these now? What's one of your childhood favourites?